Microneedling for Acne Scars- Before and After One Treatment

Posted in Beauty by

When I first heard of microneedling, I was a bit leery of the idea. I passed it off as just other beauty fad…much like the charcoal face mask (I’m still convinced it pulls out more hairs than it does blackheads).

A discussion on Facebook swayed my opinion. The topic was “Acne Scars”. Most of the commenters suggested microneedling as a treatment and gave glowing reviews of their own personal experience with the procedure.

As I mentioned in my last post, I am on a mission to obliterate my craters for good. It has always been my biggest insecurity and I’d love nothing more than to accomplish a glowing complexion.

I tried just about everything and went so far as to set up a consultation with a plastic surgeon. He quoted me $20k to, basically, sand my skin down to the raw. According to him, it was my only hope.

I walked away from his office feeling defeated and decided I was just going to have to live with my scars for the rest of my life.

With this in mind, you can imagine how hopeful I felt when I read positive reviews from real people!

Immediately, I began doing some research to answer my most pressing questions:

What Exactly Is Microneedling?

Microneedling is what it sounds like. Tiny needles puncture your skin to cause micro-injury. In turn, this stimulates your body’s natural healing process to produce collagen and elastin.

The results are plump, youthful looking skin and visible improvement in the appearance of acne scars.

Is it a great alternative to more recognized treatments (such as, lasers) because it requires very little downtime at a relatively low cost. Plus, it can be done on any skin tone!

I will tell you that I didn’t want to mess with any derma rollers because of some of the controversy surrounding them.

For the best experience possible, I searched for a reputable med-spa in my area. They used the SkinPen for their microneedling services, so I knew I would be in good hands.

Is It Painful?

When the experts use words like “trauma” and “injury” to describe the Microneedling process, you can’t help but wonder if it hurts.

Based on my personal experience, the answer is “No!”. The great thing about having a professional treat you is that they apply a topical anesthetic before going to work. The only thing I felt during the process was pressure and intense vibrations from the SkinPen.

The great thing about a device like the SkinPen is that the technician can customize the depth of the punctures based on where your problem areas are located.

Not going to lie, my face looked pretty gory afterwards…as you can see!

MICRONEEDLING AFTERMATH

This picture was taken with my iPhone. The clarity is poor but at least you get an idea of what to expect directly after the procedure.

The anesthetic took several hours to wear off. Afterwards, my skin felt slightly raw for the rest of the day… much like a sunburn.

The morning after, my skin feels tight and the redness has subsided… other than a couple of light scabs in random areas.

Day 3 has gone by and my skin begins to peel quite a bit. It was itchy and looked hideous. Needless to say, I didn’t leave the house for a few days until the peeling process was over.

Does is work?

While researching Microneedling, I wondered if I was just looking at touched up photos of “before and afters”. After all, I didn’t want to spend the money and time for nothing more than a placebo effect.

Thankfully, I can testify that my results gave me visible improvement. To somebody else, it may not seem like much has changed. For me, it is one step closer to the face I’ve been longing for!

Pay attention to the area within the circle where my scars are prominent. Notice how my “pits” have shrunk? I certainly did! Especially after applying makeup for the first time. I was thrilled beyond words to not have my scars screaming at me.

#NoFilterNeeded

This was a biggie for me because you can hide discoloration with make-up but you cannot hide those craters no matter how hard you try

Is it a dramatic improvement? No, but it is improvement. Progress, not perfection, is what I was going for and it is what I got!

I am officially hooked and will be going back for more. I believe 3-4 more treatments will help me achieve what I am looking for!

So Basically…

That sums up my first Microneedling experience. I hope it gave you some insight, put you at ease, or sparked your interest. Either way, I was too excited not to share!

If you have any questions about my experience, feel free to comment! I’d love to help any way I can.

January 19, 2018
Previous Post Next Post

19 Comments

• Reply Leniva Skin Care Review

I like this website very much, Its a really nice berth
    to read and incur information. http://tinomaria.com/groups/prevention-cure-acne-you-do-not-need-a-pizza-face-953191845/

December 30, 2018 at 6:21 am
  • Reply skin Booster before And after

Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your web site is excellent, let
    alone the content!

March 14, 2019 at 6:04 pm
  • Reply microneedling prp acne scars

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful
    & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

March 20, 2019 at 8:03 pm
  • Reply Ezekiel Swenk

I must voice my passion for your kindness in support of individuals that actually need help with this one issue. Your personal dedication to obtaining the solution up and down became extremely invaluable and contains continuously made associates much like me to arrive at their ambitions. The helpful insight means so much an individual like me and especially to my mates. Many thanks; from everyone folks. https://mindboodygreen.blogspot.com

April 23, 2019 at 11:10 pm
  • Reply oprolevorter

I’m now not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time studying more or working out more. Thank you for fantastic information I was on the lookout for this information for my mission.

May 7, 2019 at 8:58 pm
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

So glad I could help! The information was just based on my research and experience!

May 10, 2019 at 7:50 pm
  • Reply how to get help in windows 10

When someone writes an piece of writing he/she retains the image
    of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know it.
    Therefore that’s why this post is great. Thanks!

May 24, 2019 at 6:18 am
  • Reply Maglia lazio

Thanks , I have recently been searching for info approximately this
    topic for a long time and yours is the best I have discovered till now.
    However, what about the conclusion? Are you certain about the source?
    Maglia lazio

June 5, 2019 at 1:04 am
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

Thank you for the compliment! I’m afraid I don’t understand your question. Would you mind clarifying for me?

September 19, 2019 at 12:02 am
  • Reply Neue Bayern München trikot

With havin so much content and articles do you ever
    run into any issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but
    it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement.
    Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being ripped
    off? I’d definitely appreciate it. Neue Bayern München trikot

June 5, 2019 at 1:17 am
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

I don’t think I could help you with that question. So sorry that is happening to you!

September 18, 2019 at 11:57 pm
  • Reply Manchester United fc tröja

When someone writes an post he/she maintains the image of
    a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it. So that’s why this post is great.
    Thanks! Manchester United fc tröja

June 5, 2019 at 3:14 am
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

I appreciate your kind comment! Hope is was helpful.

September 18, 2019 at 11:55 pm
  • Reply barcelona Trøje Børn

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was
    curious what all is required to get setup? I’m assuming having
    a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web smart so I’m
    not 100% positive. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Appreciate it barcelona Trøje Børn

June 5, 2019 at 4:44 am
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

That’s great! Honestly, it cost me about 250 a year and it is a lot of work to set up and learn…but there’s a lot of fun elements in the learning process.

September 18, 2019 at 11:54 pm
  • Reply Billige liverpool drakt

Hi! I’ve been following your website for some time now and finally got the
    bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Lubbock Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent job! Billige liverpool drakt

June 5, 2019 at 7:45 am
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

Really?! Thank you so much for finally reaching out! I’m so encouraged by any feedback and honored you’ve been following along : ) So glad you enjoy my writing. Let me know what I could do to enhance your experience!

September 18, 2019 at 11:52 pm
  • Reply Hemorrhoid Disappear

Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for info about
    this subject for ages and yours is the best I’ve discovered till now.

But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you positive in regards to the supply?

August 6, 2019 at 8:02 pm
    • Reply From Grit To Pearl

thank you so much! I’m not sure what you are referring to when you ask “are you positive in regards to the supply”. Would you mind clarifying?

September 18, 2019 at 11:59 pm